shelleyannegerton

Emirain
Performance in a Leading Role
Mad_Lori
Progress: 2 %

Aah yes, the classic Vampire tale. Does it still have mileage?

To Serve the Count - Cassandra Pierce

Of course it does. Stories of the beautiful neck-biter have been around since the early 1800’s with Dr. John Polidori’s (1819) The Vampyre followed by Bram Stokers Dracula where the vampire was always portrayed as a thing of evil – while the modern era seems to prefer the redemption angle with Stephanie Lauren’s Twilight. We all love an anti-hero (well I do) and who better than the flawless walking dead to convince us of their harmlessness.

The scope for narrative opportunities within the vampire genre is immense. Writers have expanded this field to include fantasy, paranormal, crime, sci-fi, mystery, erotica, romance and more. The vampire trope has been done over and over again… The way I see it, is that nowadays a writer will need to deliver something quite special to stand out among the likes of the notarised and notorious. So it saddens me when I come across a novella that mimics only the most basic elements of the vampire trope without any addition of diversity to capture a new age audience that’s already drowning in Vamps.

To Serve the Count is basic, predictable and I found the moral of the story quite patronising. The writing may be as tidy as you like, with some pretty text but the content is still a formulaic replica of the suave and aristocratic vampire – not demonised but idolised and spliced with the popular new age romantic redemption. The dialog is stage play, the characterisation is ordinary. I found nothing neither exemplary nor offensive in these pages – the author played it safe – too safe for my tastes.

photo PersonalizedBannerShelley_zpsa7c55832.jpg