shelleyannegerton

Performance in a Leading Role
Mad_Lori
Progress: 2 %
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) - Josh Lanyon
So pleased I finally picked this up (thanks for the push Anna) I finished it in one sitting, and was very tempted to start the next straight away.

I’ll be honest and say I’m not reading this series for the murder mysteries thing, I’m reading (and reviewing) it for the (hopefully) romantic relationship development between Adrien English and Jake Riordaan.

I find that these murder mysteries leave me confused and frowny faced (not good for the wrinkles ya know) distracted and bored. I’m about as laterally thinking as my local MP, with the attention span of a squirrel. So sadly the old whodunits are wasted on me.

On the bright side I’m always surprised by who the villain turns out to be, and can fully appreciate the ‘eureka’ moment with an oh-wow-I-would-never-have-guessed (usually) or an, oh-wow-how-clever…it’s just the getting there that’s a drag.

This book is written in the first person, present tense (Grrr…) from Adrien’s POV. The first thing that surprised me was that the writing (even in this format)it is superb! The voice of Adrien is commanding and hooked me from the first page.

Adrien English: I’m not too sure what to make of Adrien as a protagonist. He is not the usual, that’s for sure.
He comes across as self-depreciating and having suffered a long term heart condition renders him a little weak and prone to swooning passing out when shocked, kind of like a fainting goat I suppose.
He is a crime novelist and bookstore owner, and a bit of a geek… okay, he’s a big geek. Someone describes Adrien's debut novel as being anemic and I can’t but help apply the same to him. He has a clever mind and a strong moral grounding, I like him but I can’t say I lurv him, or lust after him – NO WAY! I do feel a wary attachment to him though, it's not strong but it's there. He is a very real, very credible character, so much so that I wondered if Adrien’s voice was not the true voice of this author.

Jake Riordan: Big, blonde sexy cop. He-man! Ha! No I shouldn't say 'Ha!' he is kinda scary and dominant in that I-can-see-your-every-thought-just-by-looking-at-you kind of way. I don't know him, but I’d like to.
He is an enigma and all I know is what he's *into* and that just makes me sit up and pay even more attention. My compelling interest in Riordan is evidence of the author's writing skill, when a character has hardly any page time, yet he can become my focus and my distraction really impresses little ole me.
With just two words, delivered so zealously, he has the power to change, shape or influence everything in Adrien’s future. This man is most certainly a character I can lust after, but I fear he is the kind of guy who could rip out my heart (and Adrien’s) put a tag on it and just add it to his collection of other ripped out hearts.

I look forward to what’s next for these characters. Overall an entertaining, intriguing book, which for me, could have benefited from seeing Adrien from another perspective, learning more about Riordan, his POV would have been nice. Less of the crime solving stuff, but that’s just me and no I didn’t miss the point that the series is titled the Adrien English Mysteries, I’m just saying.