shelleyannegerton

Performance in a Leading Role
Mad_Lori
Progress: 2 %
Don't Look Back - Josh Lanyon
This is good. If you know Josh Lanyon’s work, particularly The Adrien English series, you’ll recognise the likenesses here. Peter Killian is the well-ordered intelligent and conservative type, slim, neat and appealing in appearance.
Detective Griffin is the big, sexy, mysterious alpha in charge. The atmosphere is comparable and Peter’s voice also bares a strong resemblance to Adrien English. Luckily for me, I’m a big fan.

Even with these similarities, Don’t Look Back stands out on its own just because of the situation our MC Peter Killian finds himself in when he wakes in a hospital room with no memory; accused of a crime he’s sure he didn’t commit and faced with a surly detective Mike Griffin who needs convincing otherwise. Okay, those parts are not so different but the loss of memory and how Peter copes is what sets this book very much apart.

Peter can remember everything, as long as it’s not personal. His job as curator of a museum is clear, as are the recurring thefts of small valuable artefacts for the past year. Any personal relationships he may have had are a blank, and the only clue is the recurring dreams of a faceless lover, who is yet to step forward – or has he?

As Peter slowly starts to recall his life bit by bit, he discovers himself with a new found clarity - unhindered by old emotional connections he gains a clear perspective of what his life was like. With every new recollection the threat surrounding him escalates and the plot thrives. The angst is tangible when Peter’s panic intensifies and things really do fall apart for him. Who does he trust or believe? And who’s setting him up? It’s a case of having to prove his innocence when he’s the only suspect and tension between Peter and the sexy detective develops into something … more?

It’s all classic Lanyon as I know him, and very well done – especially how Peter deals with his injured memory. It definitely provided me with a certain amount of food for thought. What would I do if I lost the memory of people who have been in my life forever? How would I recognise their influence over me? How would I judge my own image? Would I identify the power of a narcissistic personality?

I enjoyed this aspect and really, this is what lifts the book from being a likable 3.5 Stars to a thoroughly enjoyable 4 Stars. My only annoyance is that Mr Lanyon’s novellas are too short, and this one in particular would have benefited from more page time between Peter and Mike. I always want more of everything with a Lanyon novella.

Read more of this review on The Blog Of Sid Love