shelleyannegerton

Emirain
Performance in a Leading Role
Mad_Lori
Progress: 2 %
Stockholm Syndrome (Stockholm Syndrome, #1) - Richard Rider Brilliant, hilarious, heart breaking, original and absolutely nuts!

photo tumblr_mmr6ebrpGK1qghrf7o1_500_zpsef87e0c9.jpg

From the Blurb:
Stockholm Syndrome is an unconventional love story where opposites attract like bullets, Russian Roulette is foreplay, and a hand closed tight round your wrist is as good as an "I love you". Sometimes you find your missing jigsaw piece in the weirdest circumstances. And sometimes you've got to really force it into place through sheer stubborn will...

This story is so completely unexpected; a crazy, intense overload of Pip Valentine and Lindsay Brown. This story is all about them, their wants and needs, their crazy relationship which yes, does include Russian roulette as fore play.
Do not be expecting action packed Mafioso intrigue, the plot only skirts and hops around the edges of Lindsay’s crime world; this is not what it is about.
The first 15% of the book is fast and frankly hilarious with a suspicion that at any moment Pip Valentine is going to get a bullet in his face, and he is so totally oblivious!
This scene was so reminiscent of Tarrantino’s Reservoir Dogs, and thus… I was smitten.

Lindsay Brown (see? Mr Brown) is a 34 year old career criminal, serious, stoic, rich and intelligent with a dry wittiness. He also has this omnipresent darkness to him that magnifies his persona (for me anyways).
His life is ordered until he takes Pip Valentine hostage albeit willingly. When this strange looking 19 year old twinky kid wearing sparkly pink girl’s shirts, paint on his nails, too tight jeans and silly pointy boots seduces his way into Lindsay’s life. He finds a deep seated need to give him everything he wants and needs, to fuck and beat care for him, love him even if he can’t say it.

“Valentine clears his throat. "So. Why can't you just say it?"
"Say what?"
"You know what."
"It's hardly the time or place."
"It is if you're dying."
"I can't."
"You're a dick. Just fucking say it!"
"I can't! I'm... English."

Valentine is crazy, bratty, unstable, annoying, immature, selfish, abused, confused, unloved, hilarious, romantic, and totally unequivocally in love with Lindsay.

I’m well crazy. I’ll be a liability, you’re right. We gonna die, Clyde, me and you, we’ll get gunned down like dogs, but it’s okay cos I was fucking dying anyway.”

These two explore a relationship that is completely screwed up. They venture into elements of BDSM, abuse, and a kind of Daddy kink; both of them are violent and unpredictable, so easily provoked, together they are explosive, depraved, twisted, and dramatic. That’s about the worst of it with these guys though; the relationship is so multi-faceted and oddly functional.
The good times are a wonderful gut-wrenching and heart-warming romance filled with passion and sensuality too. The banter is just hilarious; these guys had me in tears of laughter. I love them; they are under my skin and in my heart.
It is very rare to find such well-developed characters and the author does a superb job.

The language is very English, as in very common English slang and anyone without the understanding might be lost or find it difficult to totally get these characters, especially Valentine.

The writing might be different, but it’s perfect for the telling of this story.

The plot focusses on Valentine and Lindsay all the time, with little interruption from the secondary characters (for the first 60% or so) From 20% - 50% the book slows and their relationship and day to day interaction is a case of sex, bicker, fuck, joke, but all the while to Lindsay’s horror the love creeps in.

At this point I took a break and resumed a few days later. I’m glad I did.

To my surprise things pick up, and at 85% things shift to Valentines perspective and everything changes. This bratty scatter brained kid shows a side of himself that is wholly unexpected, sure there is a hint of his true psychological state but not quite do we realise the extent until this moment.

A fascinating and wonderful story; I am most certainly invested enough to pursue these guys in the next two books. I relish the task.